[Updated Jan 27, 2013] — This post provides tips and tricks for getting the most from your Boxee Box. Things like streaming via AirPlay to your Boxee Box, playing videos and music files from Windows and UPnP network shares, building better bookmarks, adding the free Navi-X online multimedia aggregator, using your Boxee Box as network-attached-storage (NAS), and more.
When Boxee announced its new Boxee TV product in October of 2012, it also stated that the original Boxee Box, which had already ceased being manufactured, would soon transition into “maintenance mode.” Additionally, the company promised one last firmware update, which would “update the Flash player and fix some key bugs.” Additional information is available in DeviceGuru’s coverage:
Here’s what’s in our bag of Boxee Box tips and tricks at the moment. Click each title to read more about the particular tip or trick…
- Introducing the Navi-X App for Boxee — Navi-X is described as a “media browser” and “content aggregator” that extends the content available on Boxee by letting users quickly and easily link to and playback multimedia content from a multitude of additional sources. You can easily install the Boxee Navi-X app from a third-party repository, and we show you how.
- Boxee Box remote now available for desktop Boxee — D-Link has begun selling the Boxee Box’s two-sided remote control as an unbundled product for users of Boxee on PCs and Macs. It’s the exact same remote that ships with the Boxee Box.
- Building Better Boxee Box Bookmarks — You might think the Boxee Box browser’s bookmarks function would let you add bookmarks pointing to as many of your favorite movies, shows, and other web content as you want. Unfortunately, it doesn’t!
- What’s inside the Boxee Box? — Ever wonder what’s inside that unusually shaped D-Link Boxee Box? iFixit has published a pictorial Boxee Box tear-down, so now you don’t need to disassemble your own device to find out.
- Boxee iPad app works standalone or with Boxee Box — In addition to the ability to send media to the Boxee Box for rendering, this free app is also useful as a standalone multimedia watching app for iPad users who don’t use Boxee, since it’s fully capable of playing a wide range of video content streamed from multiple sources, both local and remote.
- Watch Live TV on your Boxee Box — Boxee Box users can now play live broadcast TV channels, with the addition of an inexpensive USB HDTV-tuner dongle. “Boxee Live TV” is supported on Boxee Box firmware v1.5 or later.
- Streaming via AirPlay to the Boxee Box — The Boxee Box’s v1.2 firmware update introduced AirPlay rendering capability. This post explains how to use AirPlay to stream audio and video from your iOS device to your Boxee Box.
- Setting up network shares on the Boxee Box — A comprehensive post on Boxee’s user forum provides tips for setting up and troubleshooting network shares on the Boxee Box.
- What’s playing on the Boxee Box? — The Boxee Box reports that over 250 apps are available for streaming multimedia or viewing other content on the device, not counting those that can be obtained from third-party repositories.
- Upgrading your Boxee Box firmware — When a new Boxee Box firmware version is released, how do you go about upgrading your device? Nothing could be simpler!
- Turn off your Boxee Box the green way — Ever worry about all the energy our DSL modems, wireless routers, and Internet-enabled devices (like the Boxee Box) consume around the clock? It all adds up!
- Where’s the Boxee Box firmware archive? — Following a recent Boxee Box firmware update, we wondered how one could obtain an earlier firmware release in the event an upgrade caused problems. Here’s the answer…
- Boxee’s Boxee Box Knowledge Base — Boxee’s knowledge base and related resources are useful to both new and experienced Boxee Box users. Searchable information databases cover the D-Link Boxee Box, Boxee Media Manager, and Boxee iPad App, and there’s also a highly-active discussion forum, a detailed FAQ, a help/support guide, and an official Boxee team blog.
For more information on the Boxee Box, including news, reviews, tips, and more, check out the related posts below.